C’mon, admit it – we all have those book tropes which are so overdone or annoying that they make you want to throw the book out the window. That’s what this week’s Top Five Friday is all about.
1) Love Triangles. I’m all for some love conflict if it’s written well, but when I see love triangles everywhere, it’s a pain in the ass. Don’t even get me started on love triangles between two brothers. Ugh.
2) Insta-love. Now, I’m as much a fan of insta-love as the next girl, especially if there’s a genuine reason for it like they’re literal soulmates or something, but it isn’t very realistic, and I think I prefer the slow burn, building relationship. Think ‘Eleanor and Park.’
3) Moody male protagonist. Dude, you may be the lead of your story, but you’ve got more issues than Vogue. Build a bridge and get over yourself.
4) Will they? Or won’t they? When the characters of a book are in the perfect situation to do something – either about their feelings for each other, or about the problem at hand – and they just don’t, and you feel like:
5) Dystopian. As much as I love ‘The Maze Runner’ and ‘Divergent’ and ‘The Hunger Games’, I’m getting really tired of seeing all the dystopian books around. Find another sub-genre, people!
Which book tropes do you hate? Let me know in either the comments below, or send me an ask on Tumblr.